Monday, April 2, 2007

Comfort Me With Pancakes

Breakfast is one of the most comforting meals of the day for me. During the week, I usually try to add some variety for my first meal of the day. I actually lull myself to sleep the night before with thoughts of what I'll be eating in 8 hours or so! Sometimes I'll fix myself a warm bowl of oatmeal mixed in with dried cranberries, raisins and almonds. Or maybe it'll be a toasted slice of homemade banana bread topped with peanut butter. On weekends though, I love making a batch of pancakes. I love pancakes and so does my boyfriend which makes whipping them up even more fun. One of our favorites is a buttermilk recipe that I found in an old Martha Stewart magazine. These pancakes have that slightly chewy texture that I'm particularly fond of with just a hint of sweetness to it. See what you think:

Best Buttermilk Pancakes (adapted from Martha Stewart Living Magazine)-makes about nine 6-inch pancakes:

2 cups AP flour
2 tspn baking pwdr
1 tspn baking soda
1/2 tspn salt
3 tblspn sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
3 cups buttermilk
4 tblspn unsalted butter, melter plus 1/2 tspn for the griddle

1. Heat griddle to 375 degrees F. Whisk together flour, baking pwdr, baking soda, salt and sugar in a medium size bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tblspn butter; whisk to combine.
(do not overmix as batter should still have some small lumps)

2. Ladle about 1/2 cup of the pancake batter onto the buttered griddle. When pancakes have bubbles forming on top of them (approx. 2min), flip over the pancake. Cook until golden on the bottom.
Repeat with the remaining pancake batter.

3. Pour your favorite syrup over the pancakes, eat, and enjoy!

No comments: