Thursday, July 5, 2007

The Summertime Blues

As in blueberries, that is! Even though it's been so hot out lately with record-topping temperatures in my neck of the woods, I've still been inspired to crank up my oven and do a little cooking and baking. My inspiration this time was my abundance of very ripe peaches and some beautiful blueberries I had in my kitchen so I decided to make a blueberry-peach cobbler. I found this juicy recipe on the Allrecipes website. To make it a little "healthier", I did modify it just a bit. I cut back on the butter and only used 3 tablespoons instead of the 1/4 cup that it called for, and I topped the cobbler off with Sucanat instead of using coarse granulated sugar. Sucanat is already naturally coarse and seemed to add a nice "rock candy" like texture to the cobbler. I loved the tarty sweetness of this dish and recommend eating it warm with a big dallop of whip cream on top. It’s so good it might even make you forget how hot it is outside.

No comments: