Thursday, July 12, 2007

Summer Baking--Apricot and Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies


This recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies comes from the Dairy Hollow Inn website. I eat oatmeal in one form or another almost every day and though I can’t say this is the healthiest form of getting your oats, it sure is a yummy treat every now and then. I’ve been making these cookies for a long while now and have to say that these are my go-to oatmeal cookies. They not only taste fabulous but they also travel well. I’ve packed a bunch of these on long trips across the country to take to friends without one broken cookie in the batch.
You can follow the recipe exactly as written but this time around, I made the following modifications: I replaced the raisins with a mixture of chopped dried apricots and cranberries, omitted the nuts and added ¾ cup milk chocolate chips instead. I also added about 1 teaspoonful of grated orange zest and1 teaspoonful of almond extract. I made several "giant-size" cookies (using an ice scream scoop to scoop up the batter) and found that the baking time was closer to 15 minutes and not the 8-10 minutes that the recipe states. Keep this in mind when you bake your batch of cookies so as not to overcook or burn them as oven temperatures are known to vary.

No comments: