Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Baby Back Ribs on Game NIght

As promised, I wanted to share with you a recipe I tried out on my new slow cooker. I previously mentioned that I had to buy a replacement after sadly dropping my old Rival Crockpot and breaking it. Well, I purchased a basic, oval, 5.5 quart slow cooker and finally "broke" it in the other day. We had some friends over for a fierce game of Password and Taboo (two of our favorites), and I thought that some baby back ribs were in order. Once again, I turned to my trusty Not Your Mother's Slowcooker Cookbook for some inspiration and decided on a barbecue recipe. It's quite simple to throw together and does not require a lot of ingredients which is a huge plus for me. After all, cooking in a slow cooker is all about convenience and saving time right?
The results? Meat that was so tender and juicy that it literally fell off the bones. I think I would have liked the sauce to be a little thicker the next time though as it seemed to thin out a bit during the long cooking process. Otherwise, the ribs had that wonderful BBQ, tangy flavor without being too sweet, and everyone seemed to enjoy them.
Oh, in case you were wondering, I was on the winning teams for both games. Woohoo!
Barbecue Pork Ribs (courtesy of Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook by Beth Hensperger):
notes-
-Use a larger round or oval slow cooker
-Cooking time--Low for 8-9 hours
Ingredients:
2 cups barbecue sauce of your choice (I used Bullseye)
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar
4 pounds pork baby back ribs cut into 3-4 ribs each (can also use spareribs or country style ribs)
1. Combine the BBQ sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire, and brown sugar in the slow cooker. Add the ribs, submerging them in the sauce. If you have a round cooker, stack the ribs with sauce in between (I had to do this even with my oval cooker).
2. Cover and cook on LOW until tender and the meat starts to separate from the bone--approx. 8-9hours
3. Transfer the ribs to a platter and serve with any extra sauce that remains in the slow cooker.
(serves 4-6)

No comments: