Wednesday, April 18, 2007

OOEY-MY-GOODNESS! MINTY BLONDIES

Maybe it was because of the cold, windy weather but tonight I felt like making something rich, sweet, ooey and gooey. Before I go on though, did you know that the word "gooey" is found in the dictionary meaning "covered with goo" and "sticky", but yet "ooey" is not? What's up with that? I mean, don't these two words go together, like, say, peanut butter and jelly? Anyways, I thought that was an interesting tidbit since the recipe I'm about to share certainly is just that...ooey and gooey. So in all fairness, I'll make up my own definition of "ooey"--how about decadently delicious? That's how I would describe these Blondies that I baked. Blondies are way up there on my list of a fun and easy dessert to whip up. This version, adapted from Cooks Illustrated, was especially cinchy to prepare because I didn't need to use my electric mixer AND, I only dirtied up two mixing bowls.

Now that's my kind of recipe! I decided to fancy them up a bit by chopping some of the pastel Fannie May meltaways I got for Easter along with white chocolate. I was hoping the pretty pastel colors of the mints would come through in the finished product but that didn't happen as they pretty much melted. The end result however were a batch of Blondies that definitely was not lacking in either the ooey or gooey factor. Blondies happen to be one of my boyfriend's favorite treats which is always a good reason to make them.
Minty Blondies (adapted from Cooks Illustrated):
1 and 1/2 cup AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
12 tbsp unsalted butter (1 and 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled
1 and 1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs lightly beaten
4 tsp vanilla
4 oz bittersweet chocolate (I used about 1 cup of Fannie May meltaways, coarsely chopped)
4 oz white chocolate chopped
1 cup pecans (or walnuts)--optional
1 cup shredded coconut--optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease an 8X8 baking pan
Mix the flour, baking pwdr, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
Mix the melted butter and brown sugar together until combined in a large bowl. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
Fold in the dry ingredients with a spatula until just combined. Fold in the chocolate, pecans, and coconut and pour into the prepared pan, smoothing top with a spatula.
Bake approx. 25minuts until the top is shiny, cracked and golden in color.
DO NOT OVERBAKE.
Cool to room temperature on wire rack before cutting and eating!
Makes about 28 bars.

No comments: