Tuesday, April 3, 2007

An Apple A Day


Apples are a wonderfully versatile fruit used in both sweet and savory dishes. I enjoy eating apples raw (Fujis are my favorite), but I also like to experiment with them in recipes. It also helps that my boyfriend likes apples too. Actually, he's the inspiration to many of the recipes I've tried and he graciously volunteers to try practically everything I make at least once. Well, the first time I made this recipe was when my BF and I had a little dinner party and game night (we played Rummy Cube and I didn't win). These bars however, are a winner and oh so easy to throw together.

Frosted Apple Cinammon Bars (courtesy of the Land O Lakes website)
makes about 48 bars if cut on the small side:

Bar Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups AP flour
1 tspn salt
3/4 tspn baking soda
1 1/2 cups uncooked old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup butter softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tspn vanilla
1 (10-ounce) package cinnamon-flavored baking chips (I used butterscotch chips)
1 medium (1 cup) apple, chopped with the peel left on (I used Granny Smith)

Frosting Ingredients:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter softened
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened (okay to use lowfat)
1 tspn vanilla

Ground cinnamon, if desired

Heat oven to 350°F. Combine flour, salt and baking soda in medium bowl; stir in oats.Combine butter, brown sugar and sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture. Beat until well mixed. Stir in chips and apple by hand. Spread batter into greased 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake for 33 to 38 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.

Combine all frosting ingredients in small bowl. Beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Spread over cooled bars. Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.

Cut the bars using a wet knife to get a clean edge.

No comments: