Sunday, January 13, 2008

This Hit The Spot

I was craving something chocolaty, rich, and chewy so what better way to satisfy this craving than with a plate of fudge brownies? I know we're supposed to be in some sort of post-holiday dieting mode, but what the heck. I've learned over the years that when my taste buds are calling out for something, I'd better deliver! I used a recipe for Classic Fudge Brownies from my Gourmet Best Desserts cookbook. Though I admittedly haven't baked much from this book yet, I plan to during the new year. The book is a compilation of all sorts of desserts from the editors of Gourmet magazine and I was happy to snag it from a local church rummage sale during one of my cookbook hunting frenzies. These brownies turned out just the way I want my brownie to be: rich, fudgey, chewy, and oh-so-decadent. I hope you enjoy.
Classic Fudge Brownies
ingredients:
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped coarse
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into bits
3/4 cup sifted AP flour
1/2 tsp double-acting baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 large eggs (at room temp)
1 and 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans)
directions:
1. Butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan; preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a small heavy saucepan melt the chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring until the mixture is smooth; let the mixture cool completely.
3. Into a bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a large bowl with a mixture beat the eggs, add the sugar, a little at a time, beating and beat the mixture at high speed for 3 minutes, or until thick and pale. Stir in the chocolate mixture and the vanilla, add the flour mixture, stirring until the mixture is blended well, and stir in the nuts.
5. Pour the batter into the baking pan, smoothing the top, and bake in the middle of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until it pulls slightly away from the sides of the pan.
6. Let the brownies cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares.
Yields 16 brownies

1 comment:

Patricia Scarpin said...

May I grab that slice, please? :)
It looks delicious!