Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Hold The Syrup, Please.

Hmmm...I know these pancakes look a little on the, uh, naked side, but let me explain. I wanted to douse the stack with maple syrup before taking the photo but my boyfriend, who I made this particular plate for, is a maple syrup dipper. See, he likes to take a piece of his pancake with a fork and dip it into a small container of syrup instead of having his pancakes bathed in the sweet, sticky stuff. Actually, that's the way I usually eat my pancakes too and since this recipe makes just enough for two people, we settled for the bare, au naturale look for this post. Now that I've explained my picture to you, let me tell you what a treat these cranberry pancakes were. This recipe was another great find from my Eating Well subscription. The pancakes are made from a combination of white and whole wheat flour, a bit of cornmeal, and of course, fresh cranberries. The flavor of the pancakes was a little nutty with a mix of sweet and tart, and the texture of the pancake was surprisingly light. And you know what? These pancakes were so good on their own that I ended up eating them plain without a drop of maple syrup. My boyfriend on the other hand, dipped to his heart's content. Let me know what you think.

Cranberry Pancakes from Eating Well Nov/Dec 2007
(makes 2 servings of 2 pancakes each)
ingredients:
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup AP flour
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
6 tablespoons nonfat milk
2 tablespoons egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
1 and 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
directions:
1. In a small saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add the cranberries and boil for 2 minutes. Drain and cool for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk AP flour, whole wheat flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl until combined.
3. Whisk milk, egg substitute and oil in a small bowl until combined.
4. Coarsely chop the cranberries; stir into the milk mixture. Stir the milk mixture into the dry ingredients just until combined.
5. Coat a griddle or large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake, cook 2 pancakes at a time until bubbles dot the surface, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining batter.

No comments: