Monday, June 11, 2007

Blueberry Banana Puffins


I've been baking muffins lately. Last week I baked a batch of pumpkin bran muffins that I've been munching on during my morning commute to work. These make the perfect simple breakfast plus they're packed with lots of healthy oatmeal and bran, and are very low in fat and sugar. This time around I added some beautiful Turkish dried apricots that I bought at the grocery store. Plump, sweet, and juicy, dried apricots are a great way to add some zing into baked goods like muffins and cookies.
On Sunday morning though I wanted to bake muffins that I thought my blueberry-loving-boyfriend might like. So, I baked him "healthy" banana and blueberry oat bran muffins and surprisingly, he liked them!
I only say surprisingly because I've tried out several muffin recipes in the past for my BF and so far, he wasn't impressed with any of them. Til now.
These muffins (recipe here) take only a few minutes to prepare and to bake. I thought I messed them up when I realized I forgot to add the baking powder and this was when I was already putting the batter into the muffin tin! So, I threw the batter that was in the tin back into the bowl, tossed in the baking powder, gave the mix a few stirs, and hoped for the best.
Though the muffins didn't rise as high as I hoped, as you can see from the picture, they didn't turn out half bad. I call them pancake-muffins or "puffins" because of their flat tops. Best of all, these puffins tasted delicious, were moist with a bit of chewiness in the texture, and with oat bran thrown in, are even good for you. Did I tell you my boyfriend ate two of them that morning?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a true ARTISTE when it comes to your writing and expression of your recipes and experiences with food.Every posting is so expertly written and I almost feel like I was there with you when you were making the food or eating at the restaurant. You really should publish a book of your recipes and experiences!